Iran and China today signed a joint statement on comprehensive strategic partnership ensuring Chinese support and recognition of the Islamic Republic of Iran in international community.
Iran's Hassan Rouhani and China's Xi Jinping signed JSCSP today, at the end of Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to Iran along with a delegation of businessmen and statesmen.
The Islamic Republic of Iran and the People's Republic of China announced that by achieving a major agreement in all areas of bilateral relations and regional and international issues, they have established ties based on ''Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.''
The ''Joint Statement on Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between Islamic Republic of Iran and People's Republic of China'' includes 20 articles specifying the roadmap of developing and deepening Tehran-Beijing ties in ''Political,'' ''Executive Cooperation,'' ''Human and Cultural,'' ''Judiciary, Security and Defence,'' and ''Regional and International'' domains.
The statement was simultaneously published in both countries on Saturday at the end of Chinese President Xi Jinping's trip to Tehran.
The following is the text of the joint statement on Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between Islamic Republic of Iran and People's Republic of China:
Upon the invitation by His Excellency Mr. Hassan Rouhani the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, His Excellency Mr. Xi Jinping, the President of the People's Republic of China, paid an official visit to the Islamic Republic of Iran on 22 to 23 January 2016. The two Heads of State deeply exchanged views on cooperation in all fields of bilateral relations as well as regional and international issues of mutual interest under an amicable and cordial atmosphere and thus reached extensive agreements.
During their over two thousand years old history of bilateral ties, Iran and China have both played important roles in spreading friendly cooperation along the Silk Road as well as in facilitation and expansion of the world trade. During the 45 years since the establishment of diplomatic ties between the two countries on 16 August 1971, bilateral ties have witnessed outstanding achievements in various political, economic, cultural and defense areas. Currently the regional and international situation is experiencing deep and complex developments. Under such circumstances, the two sides emphasize the importance of cooperation between the developing countries on international affairs and are committed to joint efforts towards realization of peace, stability and development in the region and the world at large. In view of the actual needs of upgrading the level of bilateral relations under the new conditions, both sides thus agree to establish relations based on ''Comprehensive Strategic Partnership'' under which framework they shall further expand bilateral cooperation in the following domains:
- A-Political Domain
Both sides believe that under the current conditions of deepening multilaterization of the international order and globalization of the economy, the bilateral ties between Iran and China have gained strategic importance and the two sides regard each other as important strategic partners and thus designate the expansion of bilateral relations as a priority of their respective foreign policies. Appropriate and constant expansion of bilateral ties conforms to the common interests of both countries and contributes to safeguarding the regional and global peace, stability and development.
- In order to strengthen political consultations between senior officials on issues of mutual interest and to enhance mutual strategic trust, both sides reached consensus on establishing a mechanism of annual meetings between their Ministers of Foreign Affairs as well as periodic consultation meetings between their relevant regional Deputy-Ministers of Foreign Affairs.
- Both sides emphasize the necessity of expanding relations between the central governments, provincial cooperation (local governments) as well as between their political groups and parties in order to exchange experiences and strengthen interactions in all fields.
- Emphasizing the effective role of the legislating bodies of both countries in the expansion and development of ties, both sides emphasize enhancement of exchanges and cooperation between both countries' legislative bodies and parliaments in various fields and levels and as well as deliberation and consultation at relevant regional and international organizations such as the Asian Parliamentary Assembly and Inter-parliamentary Union.
- Both sides strongly support each other regarding issues pertaining to their core interests such as independence, national sovereignty, and territorial integrity. The Iranian side continues its strong commitment to the One-China policy. The Chinese side supports the Iranian side's ''Development Plan'' as well as increasing Iran's role in regional and international affairs.
- In view of the determination of both sides to expand relations between the two countries and the complementariness of their economic potentials as well as existence of numerous areas of joint cooperation such as energy, infrastructure, industry and technology, both sides agree to put consultations and discussions aimed at concluding a bilateral 25-year Comprehensive Cooperation Agreement on their agendas.
- B- Executive Cooperation Domain
The Iranian side welcomes ''the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road'' initiative introduced by China. Relying on their respective strengths and advantages as well as the opportunities provided through the signing of documents such as the ''MOU on Jointly Promoting the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road'' and ''MOU on Reinforcement of Industrial and Mineral Capacities and Investment'', both sides shall expand cooperation and mutual investments in various areas including transportation, railway, ports, energy, industry, commerce and services.
- In view of their relative economic advantages, both sides shall enhance their bilateral and multilateral cooperation in areas such as fossil fuels as well as new and renewable energies, security of demand and supply as well as transfer and transportation of fossil fuels and the Chinese side shall consider financing and investing in the upstream and downstream projects of the energy industries in Iran and the Iranian side shall provide the necessary facilitations and support in this respect.
- Both sides express their agreements to enhancing investment and trade exchanges and promote tangible cooperation in the areas of economy, banking, mutual investment, financing, mining, transportation, communications, space, manufacturing industries, developing of ports, upgrading and expansion of railway networks, express railway systems, agriculture, water resources, protection of environment, food security, fighting desertification, water desalination, use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes and renewable energies, based on the bilateral ''MOU on Strengthening of Investment Cooperation'' and cooperating in the exchange of know-how and technology as well as in human resource training .
- The Chinese side appreciates Iran's participation as a ''Founding Member'' of the Asia Infrastructure Investment Bank. Both sides are willing to strengthen their cooperation in the relevant areas and join their efforts towards the progress and prosperity of Asia.
- C- Human and Cultural Domain
In view of their historical commonalities and existence of numerous capacities in human fields, both sides agree with a leading role for their bilateral Joint Cultural Committee and upgrading the level of their cultural cooperation. In this regard, they will encourage their citizens to visit each other's countries and strengthen cooperation in the fields of tourism, health, youth, and sports. They will also enhance their press and public diplomacy exchanges and increase cooperation between their media as well as the mutual visits by their media delegations. Also, through enhancement of dialog and human exchanges and expansion of communications between their Non-Governmental Organizations in various forms, they will pave the way for mutual understanding and friendship between the two Nations. Both sides shall study the possibility of mutually designating cultural years and shall continue their consultations regarding establishing their cultural centers and provision of necessary facilitation in this regard. Also, by enhancing their consular mechanisms and cooperation, both sides emphasize the provision of necessary support and facilitation to each other's citizens in their countries.
- Both sides shall enhance their cooperation in the fields of academic and higher education, exchange of professors and students, scientific cooperation and transfer of new technologies and execution of joint projects.
- D- Judiciary, Security and Defense Domain
Both sides shall enhance their judicial cooperation in all fields and through exchanging high-ranking delegations and specialized cooperation as well as the Extradition Treaty, and the Agreements on Mutual Judicial Assistance in Criminal Affairs and Mutual Judicial Assistance in Civil and Commercial Affairs they shall strengthen their consultations and cooperation.
- Both sides recognize terrorism, extremism and separatism as threats against all humanity and the global peace and stability. Emphasizing the necessity for firm and integrated determination of the international community in fighting the three evil forces, they express their readiness to discuss pragmatic cooperation and policies in this regard. They recognize the UN resolution of ''World against Violence and Extremism'' (WAVE) proposed by the Iranian President, H.E. Mr. Hassan Rouhani, as an appropriate framework to attain such goals.
- Through enhancement of contacts and bilateral cooperation both sides shall reinforce their fight against illegal border-crossing, smuggling and trafficking of goods and illegal drugs and substances and their chemical precursors, cyber-crimes, transnational and organized crimes and while supporting the existing mechanisms, they shall consider establishing new and necessary mechanisms in this regard. They shall also strengthen the cooperation between their law-enforcement institutions in various areas including the training of law-enforcement personnel.
- Both sides view the enhancement of communications and exchanges between their Armed Forces and Ministries of Defense as contributing to stability and security and shall increase the exchange of delegations, consultations and coordination at various levels and shall upgrade the level of cooperation of the Armed Forces of the two countries through cooperation mechanisms in the fields of human resource training, fighting terrorism and exchange of information, as well as equipment and technology.
- E- Regional and International Domain
Both sides reaffirm their support for the multi-polarization process of the international system and express their readiness to tackle global challenges and create a world filled with peace and stability. The two sides reiterate their commitment to the principles enshrined in the United Nations Charter, especially those pertaining to respecting the national sovereignty and territorial integrity as well as non-interference in the internal affairs of countries. They oppose all kinds of use of force or threatening with use of force or imposition of unjust sanctions against other countries as well as all forms and manifestations of terrorism and believe that controversial or acute international issues should be resolved through negotiations and political dialog.
- The Chinese side appreciates Iran's constructive role in fighting terrorism and establishing regional peace and stability. Both sides are of the opinion that peace and stability in this region are in line with the common interests of the International Community and express their readiness to enhance bilateral consultations on major regional issues including the developments in Syria and Yemen crisis as well as the establishment of an area free of weapons of mass destruction and resolution of acute issues through political dialog. They support the will of the countries and peoples of the region seeking political systems and development paths conforming to their national conditions, aiming at realizing their sustainable stability and economic and social development. Both sides support the efforts by the countries of the region as well as the people of Palestine to achieve their rights too.
- Both sides shall enhance their consultations within the framework of regional and international organizations. China attaches importance to Iran's effective role as the regional power and evaluates positively Iran's role in activities under the framework of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization and supports Iran's application for full membership of the Organization.
- Both sides welcome the agreement reached between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the 5+1 countries on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and believe that the agreement contributes toward guaranteeing the peacefulness of Iran's nuclear activities and results in the full realization of Iran's legitimate rights to peaceful use of nuclear energy according to the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). Both sides emphasize that all relevant parties should implement the JCPOA and the United Nations Security Council Resolution No. 2231 in good faith and in an inclusive and balanced manner and reiterate that they will strive to advance the process of modernization of the Arak heavy-water reactor.