BSF man killed as terrorists launch fresh attack in Baramulla

03 October 2016

Search operations have ended in Kashmir's Baramulla, where terrorists attacked adjoining Army and Border Security Force camps on Sunday, killing a BSF personnel and wounding another critically.

Reports were somewhat conflicting on the fate of the terrorists, believed to be about three to four in number. While police said they had escaped after an intense two-hour gun battle, an Indian Express report says at least two heavily armed terrorists were killed.

The area was cordoned off for hours and a highway was sealed as security forces launched a search for the attackers.

The terrorists attacked the 46 Rashtriya Rifles camp of the Army and the adjacent BSF camp in main town Baramulla, about 60 km from capital Srinagar, in two groups at about 10.30 pm on Sunday. Heavy firing and loud grenade blasts were heard.

After about two hours of firing, well after midnight, the Army said the situation was "contained and under control".

Officials said the attackers had managed to enter the fringes of the BSF camp but met heavy gunfire from the Army and the BSF, on high alert since four Pakistani terrorists had sneaked into an army base in Uri, also in Baramulla district, and killed 20 soldiers two weeks ago.

The terrorists who attacked Baramulla on Sunday are suspected to have entered India across the Jhelum River.

Minister Manohar Parrikar is chairing a high-level meet with the defence forces chiefs Dalbir Singh Suhag of the Army, Arup Raha of the Navy and Sunil Lanba of the Indian Air Force. Home Minister Rajnath Singh has also spoken to National Security Adviser Ajit Doval to review the security situation.

The attack by terrorists comes within days of India's surgical strikes across the Line of Control, in which the Indian Army had destroyed several terrorist ''launch pads''. The attack by the Army is said to have caused heavy terrorist casualties, as well as killing two soldiers of the Pakistani Army. Security forces have been on high alert after the strikes, which are widely seen as being in retaliation to the Uri attack.

Meanwhile, heavy mortar shelling from the Pakistani side was reported to be continuing in the Poonch sector.

Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif chaired an all-party meeting in Islamabad, after which he said, ''Pakistan stands united against Indian aggression.''

 search domain-b