China, which is now absolutely keen on getting Pakistan equated with India in the pursuit of membership in the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), on Thursday said a documentary based on the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, alleging Pakistan's involvement in the horrific attack, was not its official stance.
The documentary, shown by the state-run channels, talked about the involvement of Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba in the Mumbai attacks. It contained details of planning and execution of the Mumbai attacks by LeT militants.
The documentary shown on CCTV also showed confessions of Ajmal Kasab, the lone survivor of the Mumbai attacks, a rare occasion that official Chinese media aired negative news about Pakistan.
Chinese foreign ministry released a brief statement on its website stating that the documentary was a dubbed version of an American TV programme and no way represented the government's position.
"We have contacted the Chinese media and learnt that the relevant program is a Chinese-dubbed American documentary."
"What it (documentary) said does not represent the position of the Chinese government. China's position on the issue of counter-terrorism remains unchanged," it said.
The ministry was reacting to a question on the China Central Television (CCTV) documentary on the Mumbai terror attacks, linking Pakistan to the assault.
The documentary supports China's attempts to put technical holds in UN on India's attempts to bring about a UN ban on some of the leaders of terror outfits like LeT and Jaish-e-Muhammad.
The footage was first aired by the state-run Shanghai television weeks ahead of President Pranab Mukherjee's visit last month and subsequently shown by CCTV documentary channel.