Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal has questioned the central government's motive in allowing Pakistani investigators, including its notorious spy agency ISI, to probe the 2 January terror attack on the Indian Air Force (IAF) base in Pathankot.
Kejriwal also accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of surrendering to Pakistan by allowing its security and intelligence officials to investigate something they themselves had sponsored.
Pakistan has been harbouring anti-India terrorists and by allowing investigators from that country to probe such terror acts, the Indian government is allowing them to plan their acts better, Kejriwal told the media.
"We were saying ISI (Pakistan's spy agency) was responsible, it was a Pakistan-sponsored terror. Has this position changed?" the Aam Aadmi Party leader pointed out, adding, "Prime Minister Modi has surrendered before Pakistan."
Earlier on Monday, opposition Congress also questioned the government's move to give Pakistan's security and intelligence officials' access to the IAF base in Pathankot.
"Pakistan has provided no assurance of action. Yet their team has been allowed to investigate the Pathankot terror attack," Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala told reporters.
Surjewala said Modi's government had not been able to "differentiate between state actors and non-state actors" perpetrating anti-India cross-border terror.
"Does the move imply that the Pakistan has had no involvement in spreading terror in India?" Surjewala asked.
"The prime minister should introspect properly and answer the nation. Is there a guarantee that the team will not favour the terrorists?" he asked.
The five-member Pakistani team arrived in Delhi on Sunday to probe the 2 January terror attack at the Pathankot air base in Punjab. The team will travel to Pathankot on Monday evening and question witnesses there.
According to official sources, the Pakistani team will be given limited access to the Indian airbase where at least seven military personnel were killed after a gun and bomb attack by alleged Pakistani terrorists.
One civilian was also killed in the attack on the sprawling 2,000-acre complex that houses high-value Indian defence assets, including fighter jets.
Six terrorists who had crossed over into Punjab from Pakistan were also killed.
This is the first time that New Delhi has allowed Pakistani investigators to probe a terror attack that India blame on that country.
The Modi government seems to believe that by granting access to key defence establishment under Pakisani threat Islamabad will bring to justice the alleged perpetrators, including Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar.