The University Grants Commission (UGC), the apex body of Indian universities, on Wednesday released a list of 21 fake institutes, cautioning students against getting enrolled in such institutions.
In a notification issued today, the UGC has listed the 21 bogus varsities, eight of which in Uttar Pradesh and six in Delhi.
Of the others, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar and West Bengal have one each.
"Students and public at large are informed that such 21 self-styled and unrecognised institutions, functioning under the contravention of the UGC Act are declared as fake, and are not entitled to confer any degrees further," the UGC said in its notice.
As per the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, only a university established by the Central / State/Provincial Act or an institution deemed to be university under Section 3 of the Act is allowed to call themselves as university.
Therefore, any institution that does not comply with the above rule is prohibited from using the term 'university' under Section 23 of the Act.
The Following are the fake universities in India as listed by the UGC:
- Maithili University, Darbhanga, Bihar
- Varanseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Delhi
- Commercial University Ltd, Delhi
- United Nations University, Delhi
- Vocational University, Delhi
- ADR- Central Juridical University, Delhi
- Indian Institution of Science and Engineering, Delhi
- Badagnavi Sarkar World Open Educational Society, Belgaum, Karnataka
- St. John's University, Kishanattam, Kerala
- Kesarwani Vidyapith, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- D D B Sanskrit University, Putur, Trichy, Tamil Nadu
- Indian institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Netaki Subhash Chandra Bose University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Uttar Pradesh
- Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Noida-Phase II, Uttar Pradesh
- Gurukul Vishwavidyalaya, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh