No laxity in pursuit of Mallya's extradition, says CBI
16 June 2017
The Central Bureau of Investigation, accused of laxity in pursuing the extradition of former liquor baron Vijay Mallya from the UK, said on Thursday that a supplementary chargesheet pertaining to an alleged fraud case involving Mallya was forwarded to British authorities through diplomatic channels on 9 June. The charge-sheet was to be presented on 13 June before a London court, which is hearing the extradition case.
The CBI also said that the hearing on 13 June was not on ''extradition proceedings'' but for ''case management review'' to ''determine further steps to be taken up in the case and to draw a timetable''.
The agency said that the ''Crown Prosecution Service [which represents the Indian side in magistrate's court] has confirmed that there was no criticism of the extradition request or of the Indian government''.
It was widely reported on Thursday that the CBI sent the documents to the British High Commission in Delhi only last week, too late for it to forward the documents to the Foreign and Home offices in London. The delay had set off a blame game in the government.
''As the fugitive Mallya has been in London since March 2016, the extradition request was forwarded on 9 February to authorities. The extradition dossier contained details of evidence, including the chargesheet filed under 173 Cr.PC which relied upon documents and non-bailable warrant.
''The Secretary of State, UK certified the request and sent it to the court. The court after satisfying itself, issued an arrest warrant. On 18 April morning, Mallya was arrested in London. At the conclusion of his initial hearing he was granted conditional bail,'' a CBI statement said.
It also said that the bail conditions for Mallya required that his revoked Indian passport be retained by the police, and that he would not leave or attempt to leave the UK.
''He should live at Ladywalk, Queen Hoo Lane, Tewin, Hertfordshire, AL6 0LT and keep his mobile phone on him all the time. It also required him to deposit security of £650,000 with the court and to not apply for international travel documents or be in possession of any,'' said the CBI.
The CBI said the Crown Prosecution Services sought a meeting with the CBI and ED on 18 April. A team led by Rakesh Asthana, additional director, visited London on 2 and 3 May and submitted all additional documents sought.