Shipping ministry issues draft Coastal Shipping Bill for public consultation
02 November 2020
Ministry of Shipping has issued the draft of Coastal Shipping Bill, 2020 for suggestions from the stakeholders and general public, in accordance with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision for augmenting people’s participation and transparency in governance.
- The draft bill seeks to expand the definition of coastal shipping and coastal waters.
- It proposes to do away with the requirement of trading licence for Indian flag vessels for coastal trade.
- The bill seeks to create a competitive environment and reduce transportation costs, while encouraging Indian vessels to increase their share in coastal shipping.
- The bill also proposes integration of coastal maritime transport with inland waterways.
- There is a provision for a National Coastal and Inland Shipping Strategic Plan.