HC takes up Delhi rape case suo moto, seeks status reports

19 Dec 2012

1

The Delhi High Court today took suo moto cognizance of the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus in Delhi, and directed the city police commissioner to file a status report by 21 December on investigations so far.

A division bench of Chief Justice D. Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw also directed the Delhi government to provide the best possible medical facilities to the victim and her friend, a young man who was severely beaten up in the same incident.

The bench said it would monitor the case and asked police commissioner Neeraj Kumar to provide information in two days detailing the names of police officers deployed at the checkposts on the night of the incident.

The bus had roamed around the city for 40 minutes on Sunday night, while the rapists savaged the girl.

The victim is fighting for her life in Safdarjung Hospital. She underwent an emergency operation on Tuesday as her condition deteriorated. She is reported to be better today, though still critical. Doctors treating her say they have never come across such brutality in a rape case.

The issue rocked both houses of Parliament on Tuesday, with members from across the political spectrum demanding stringent action against the accused, four of whom have been arrested. Two more are yet to be traced.

Latest articles

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

India’s Great Nicobar project clears key hurdle, positioning Bay of Bengal as strategic trade hub

India’s Great Nicobar project clears key hurdle, positioning Bay of Bengal as strategic trade hub

Wall Street and government leaders to headline Mar-a-Lago crypto forum

Wall Street and government leaders to headline Mar-a-Lago crypto forum

Global investors remain ‘uber-bullish’ but warn of corporate overspending

Global investors remain ‘uber-bullish’ but warn of corporate overspending