Central ministries/depts earmark 4.3% to 17.5% funds for tribal development
19 September 2020
The government has mandated central ministries/departments to pool resources under Tribal Sub-Plan for implementing development programmes for tribal population.
Accordingly, 40 ministries/departments have been earmarking Tribal Sub-Plan funds in the range of 4.3 per cent to 17.5 per cent of their total scheme allocation every year for tribal development.
Ministry of tribal affairs provides additional funds required for these initiatives by way of plugging gaps. The efforts made through TSP / STC strategy has brought out improvements for tribals in terms of various indices relating to literacy, health, livelihood, etc.
Tribal Sub Plan, now called Scheduled Tribe Component (STC), strategy was adopted in 5th Five Year Plan (1974-75) for accelerated development of tribal people. It envisages channelling the flow of outlays and benefits from all sectors of development to ST population. TSP funds are dedicated source of fund for tribal development.
The schemes/ programmes of the ministry of tribal affairs include:
- Special Central Assistance (SCA) to Tribal Sub Scheme (TSS)
- Grants-in-aid under Article 275(1) of the Constitution
- Pre-Matric Scholarship for needy Scheduled Tribe Students studying in Classes IX & X
- Post - Matric Scholarship Scheme (PMS)
- National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students, which include I) National Fellowship for ST Students and II) Scholarship Scheme (Top Class Education) for ST Students
- National Overseas Scholarship Scheme for Higher Studies Abroad
- Minimum Support Price for Minor Forest Produce (MSP for MFP)
- Eklavya Model Residential School (EMRS)
- Grants-in-aid to voluntary organisations working for the welfare of Scheduled Tribes.
- Support to Tribal Research Institutes
- Scheme for Development of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)
- Tribal Festival, Research, information and Mass Education
- Equity Support to National Scheduled Tribes Finance and Development Corporation(NSTFDC)/ State Scheduled Tribes Finance and Development Corporations(STFDCs)
- Institutional Support for Marketing and Development of Tribal Products (TRIFED etc.)
Studies conducted by the Tribal Research Institutes (TRIs) have highlighted the challenges faced by tribal people.
?Union minister for tribal affairs Arjun Munda gave this information in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.