Air passenger traffic in India grows nearly 22 per cent in H1
16 July 2010
The number of passengers carried by domestic airlines between January and June 2010 grew 21.86 per cent to 25.71 million, compared with 21.09 million in the corresponding period of 2009, data provided by various domestic airlines showed.
The number of passengers carried by scheduled airlines in India in the second quarter of 2010 (April-June 2010) rose 13.75 per cent to 13.48 million from 11.85 million in the first quarter of 2010 (January-March 2010).
Jet Airways 2.48 million (18.4 per cent) along with Jet Light 1.05 million (7.8 per cent) was the market leader with a combined share of 3.53 million (26.2 per cent), followed by Kingfisher 2.84 million (21.1 per cent), Air India (domestic) 2.37 million (17.6 per cent), IndiGo 2.15 million (15.9 per cent), Spice Jet 1.76 million (13 per cent), Go Air 7.88 lakh (5.8 per cent) and Paramount 0.45 lakh (0.3 per cent, in that order.
Total domestic passengers carried by scheduled airlines in the country in June 2010 stood at 4.50 million. These include Kingfisher 9.44 lakh (21 per cent), Jet Airways 8.4 lakh (18.7 per cent), Air India (domestic) 7.60 lakh (16.9 per cent), Spice Jet 5.98 lakh (13.3 per cent), IndiGo 7.37 lakh (16.4 per cent), Jet Lite 3.51 lakh (7.8 per cent), Go Air 2.61 lakh (5.8 per cent) and Paramount 0.13 lakh (0.3 per cent).
IndiGo reported the highest seat factor of 90.7 per cent, followed by Spice Jet 88.5 per cent, Paramount Airways 86.8 per cent, Kingfisher Airlines 85.1 per cent, Go Air 84.0 per cent, JetLite 83.6 per cent, Jet Airways 80.5 per cent and Air India (domestic) 72.3 per cent, in that order.
The overall on-time performance (OTP) of scheduled domestic airlines in June 2010 has been 78.5 per cent.