Airtel launches DTH TV service
07 October 2008
Mumbai: Bharti Enterprises flagship Bharti Airtel Limited today launched its direct to home (DTH) satellite TV service, Airtel digital TV. Bharti says the service will be available to customers through 21,000 retail points including Airtel Relationship Centres in 62 cities across the country starting 9 October 2008.
Manoj Kohli, CEO and joint MD, Bharti Airtel, said, "Today we are starting a new chapter in our journey, one that adds a new dimension to our existing product portfolio and is a major step towards transforming Airtel from just a telecom brand to a lifestyle enabler. The launch of Airtel digital TV is the culmination of our three-screens strategy, which is to be present across mobile phone, computer and TV screens."
Airtel digital TV uses the latest MPEG4 standard with DVB S2 technology, which translates into better picture clarity and consistent high quality audio for the customer. This latest technology also enables delivery of more complex interactive content and is high-definition ready.
Airtel digital TV uses 20-per cent larger dish antenna for better performance during rains.
Acording to Atul Bindal, president, Telemedia Services, Bharti Airtel, the Indian DTH segment offers immense growth potential.
"Given our deep understanding of the Indian customer, we believe that Airtel has created an excellent product offering and with added benefits of Airtel's strong brand equity and wide distribution network, we are well placed to emerge as a leading player in this segment," Bindra said.
Airtel says its digital TV brings many firsts to the DTH segment in India that inclde:
- Universal remote for both set top box and TV that offers enhanced viewer convenience;
- Highest set top box memory enabling more interactive applications;
- Exclusive content such as World Space Radio;
- Interactive applications such as iMatinee for booking cinema tickets, iTravel for browsing and booking travel packages, iShop fpr shopping on TV, iCity (for city information) and Widgets (for updates on latest stock news). 8 screen iNews, 2 / 4 screen iSports.
- Games with high quality graphics, refreshed every 6 weeks
- Audio gain control for uniform audio levels across all channels
- Simple and intuitive search
- On screen account metre
- Last viewed channel in case of power disruption / switch off
- Low battery indicator on the screen
Thye company said its DTH seervice is backed by 24x7 customer care available in eight different languages.
(Also see: New campaign for Airtel DTH)