Bengaluru International Airport to start commercial operations on 30 March
12 March 2008
The Bangalore International Airport (BIAL) has confirmed that it will begin operations at the newly named Bengaluru International Airport on 30 March 2008 as scheduled. The clarification comes in response to media reports stating that the airport's operational launch might be postponed.
"We have not received any information validating newspaper reports," said Albert Brunner, CEO, BIAL.
BIAL has said that it has demonstrated airport readiness with the successful flight trials conducted on 7 March 2008. BIAL also said that it had committed to delivering the new international airport to the city of Bangalore on 30 March 2008 during the course of the trials.
Inauguration of the new airport is scheduled for 28 March 2008.
BIAL is a public limited company under the Indian Companies Act, formed to build, own and operate the Bengaluru International Airport. Private promoters hold a 74% stake in BIAL while the State holds the remaining 26%.
Spread over 4000 acres, with an investment of Rs2,470 crore, the Bengaluru International Airport will have the capacity to handle eleven million passengers in its first year of operation.
The airport will eventually handle up to 50 million passengers annually.