More reports on: Defence general

Pakistan-based terrorists getting support from Indian fugitives

07 August 2015

Pakistan-backed terrorists made a late night strike at a remote police post in Basantgarh in Jammu and Kashmir's Udhampur on Thursday, a day after they managed to gun down two BSF personnel.

The late night firing at the post came a day after two Pakistani terrorists attacked a Border Security Force convoy on the national highway, about 10 from Udhampur town.

Around the time the Basantgarh firing was reported on Thursday evening, another encounter was on in Pulwama in south Kashmir after three suspected Lashkar terrorists holed up in a house attacked a police team that was looking for them.

These terror attacks, read along with the threat posed to the Supreme Court judge who headed the bench that rejected Yakub Memon's last-ditch appeal to stop his execution, security agencies believe that the terror strikes are aided by Indian fugitives in Pakistan.

Justice Dipak Misra received an anonymous letter which says "irrespective of the protection you may avail, we will eliminate you", NDTV new channels reported (See: SC judge who rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea gets threat letter).

They say, it is now increasingly becoming clear that fugitive Indian terrorists hiding in Pakistan are orchestrating the persistent attacks on the Indian state. The immediate trigger is the hanging of the 1993 Mumbai blast mastermind Yakub Memon.

Tiger Memon, the absconding brother of Yakub Memon, who was hanged on 30 July after being convicted in the 1993 Mumbai blast case, had vowed to avenge his brother's hanging.

They claim that the legal process in India did not allow plea bargains on the charges the conspirators of the 1993 bombings that the Memon family member failed to get concessions in punishment after the family allegedly convinced Yakub  Memon to return from Pakistan.

Hours before 1993 blasts convict Yakub Memon was hanged, his older brother and terror mastermind Tiger Memon is reported to have called his family in Mumbai and threatened to avenge the death.

NDTV quoted unnamed sources as saying that Tiger Memon made the call in the early hours of 30 July through VoIP and spoke to a family member, who reportedly told him that "they cannot take any more violence and it should stop."

While reports suggested that the call was intercepted by the police and security agencies, the Mumbai police have denied it.

This week's attack in Udhampur follows that in Gurdaspur (27 July) which was preceded by two attacks in May, one in March (Kathua) and two in January. These are part of a long-drawn out proxy war being waged against India since May 1990.

Meanwhile, in the latest attack, the police say they were unable to detect the presence of terrorists in the area and are now investigating what caused the firing.

A police team that reached the Sang post in the Basantgarh area found two special police officers or SPOs injured. One of them has been evacuated for treatment while another had only minor injuries.

 search domain-b