Rein in ‘global terrorist’ Hafiz Saeed, India tells Pak

05 Feb 2016

1

India on Thursday termed as matter of "grave concern" the activities in Pakistan of Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed, a day after the Mumbai terror attack mastermind warned of more Pathankot-style attacks in the country.

External affairs ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup also made it clear that it was for Pakistan to rein in the JuD chief.

"Hafiz Saeed is globally-designated international terrorist. His claim that his many front organisations are carrying out charitable work in not even a fig leaf.

"He indulges in terrorist activities and terrorist financing. It should be a matter of grave concern to everyone that terrorist like Saeed and his associates continues to enjoy the freedom to indulge in their activities," Swarup said.

Addressing a rally in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, Saeed had said,"800,000 Indian troops are committing genocide on Kashmiris. Don't they have a right to carry out Pathankot-style attacks for their defence? ...You have only seen one attack on Pathankot. Matters could easily escalate."

Asserting that it was "up to Pakistan to rein in Saeed", the spokesperson also noted that Saeed's speeches were telecast despite Pakistan's ban on media coverage of militant groups like the JuD and LeT.

Last month, Saeed had appeared on a talk show on Channel 24 in which he glorified his organisation's "public welfare" works and talked about how India and the US were "pressuring" the Pakistani government to take action against organisations like the JuD and Jaish-e-Mohammad, which is believed to be behind the Pathankot attack.

Asked about the status of India-Pakistan Foreign Secretary-level talks, Swarup continued to say that no "mutually convenient" date has been agreed upon between the two countries.

National Security Advisors of India and Pakistan as well as the foreign secretaries are in touch with each other, he said, adding while the NSAs have been discussing the Pathankot terror attack investigation by Pakistan government, the two foreign secretaries are in touch on the dates issue.

Asked about the progress on Pathankot probe by Pakistan and if that country has sought any fresh evidence, the Spokesperson did not give a direct answer and said the government was also looking at what action was being taken to bring the perpetrators of Pathankot attack to justice.

 

Latest articles

Uber to invest $100 million+ in autonomous charging hubs to accelerate robotaxi rollout

Uber to invest $100 million+ in autonomous charging hubs to accelerate robotaxi rollout

The $250 billion pivot: how 2026 became the year AI paid the rent

The $250 billion pivot: how 2026 became the year AI paid the rent

Sweden fines SBB over accounting violations, raising scrutiny on property sector

Sweden fines SBB over accounting violations, raising scrutiny on property sector

Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva amid pressure concerns

Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva amid pressure concerns

India asks university to exit AI summit after robot’s origin questioned

India asks university to exit AI summit after robot’s origin questioned

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops