Tata Power Registers Consolidated Generation at 11,663 MUs in Q2 FY15-16

Tata Power, India's largest integrated power company, today said the company's consolidated generation for the quarter stood at 11,663 million units (MUs), a 6.5-per cent increase in the company's consolidated generation as compared to Q2 FY15.

Together with all its subsidiaries, Tata Power's generation sales were 11,376 MUs of power from all its power plants during Q2.

The company continues to renew its focus on renewable energy generation capacities and restructure its renewable energy assets as part of its growth focus in the renewable energy space. The proposed structuring involves carving out of 500 MW of renewable assets of the company to its subsidiary Tata Power Renewable Energy Ltd. (TPREL) and its subsidiaries (See: Tata Power to transfer renewables portfolio to fully-owned subsidiary Tata Power Renewable Energy).

Post structuring, the total installed capacity of TPREL will be about 720 MW with additional 250 MW under construction.

Anil Sardana, CEO and managing director, Tata Power said, ''It gives us great pride to be the largest integrated power company in India with significant increase across our operations.  As we celebrate Tata Power's centenary year, we are committed to nation building and will continue to lighten up lives in the coming years.''

Tata Power together with its subsidiaries and jointly controlled entities has an installed gross generation capacity of 8,669 MW in India, of which 1,383 MW comes from clean and green energy sources, comprising Hydro 576  MW, Solar 56 MW, Wind 511 MW and 240 MW from waste gas-based generation.

Currently it is implementing the following projects are under Implementation:

  • Kalinganagar, Odisha CPP 1 - 202.5 MW (3 x 67.5 MW): The 202.5 MW Kalinganagar project is being executed through IEL, a Tata Power joint venture with 74 per cent stake with Tata Steel, which holds the remaining 26 per cent for its steel plant in Kalinganagar, Odisha. The project is in advanced stages of commissioning.
  • Tata Power Renewable Energy Limited (TPREL): This involves aggregating renewable assets by carving out renewable assets at Tata Power, which the tata Power board, at its meeting held today, approved through a scheme of arrangement to restructure the company's renewables portfolio of wind, solar and waste heat recovery / production gases based generation into Tata Power Renewable Energy Limited (TPREL), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company.
  • The proposed restructuring will lead to the renewables assets in the books of the company to be transferred to TPREL through slump sale. The assets include 376.5 MW of wind assets in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu, 3 MW solar asset in Mulshi, 120 MW waste heat recovery based power plants at Haldia, West Bengal.
  • Cennergi, South Africa: The company's 134.4 MW Amakhala Emoyeni Wind Farm and 95.3 MW Tsitsikamma Community Wind Farm joint venture in South Africa with Cennergi Limited, which is progressing on schedule. For Amakhala wind farm, all civil activities involving roads and foundations have been completed. All turbine components have been received at harbour and are being shipped to site. So far, 18 turbines have been erected and are in the process of pre-commissioning.

For Tsitsikama Community Wind Farm Project, the wind turbine ground foundation has been complete and the erection work is in progress.

  • Adjaristsqali Hydro Project, Georgia: The construction of 187 MW Shuakhevi Hydro Project in Georgia is progressing as per schedule. International Finance Corporation, the commercial lending arm of the World Bank group, Asian Development Bank and European Bank for Reconstruction and Development are the lenders to the project, for which the tunnelling works are under progress. Till date, the progress achieved for tunnel excavation is ahead of schedule. The delivery for the 178 MW Shuakhevi PH is likely to be in end of FY17.
  • Itezhi Tezhi Hydro Power Project: tata Power has acquired 50 per cent of the shares held by Tata Africa Holdings (SA) (Pty) Limited in Itezhi Tezhi Power Corporation Limited during the year, which is implementing the 120 MW Itezhi Tezhi Hydro Project in Zambia. The balance 50% is held by Zambia Electricity Supply Company Limited, the national power utility of Zambia. The project is nearing completion and shall be commissioned before end of FY16.