Reliance-Sibur joint venture starts construction of butyl rubber plant at Jamnagar
22 February 2013
Reliance Sibur Elastomers Private Limited (RSEPL), a joint venture between Reliance Industries Limited and Russia's Sibur, today began construction of their new butyl rubber plant, in Jamnagar.
Reliance and Sibur announced the formation of the joint venture butyl rubber project with a rated annual capacity of 100,000 tonnes, in February 2012. The plant is being set up at Reliance's integrated petrochemical site in Jamnagar, Gujarat.
Reliance Industries Limited owns 74.9 per cent of the JV and Sibur the remaining 25.1 per cent.
When commissioned in 2015, the new plant will be India's only manufacturer of butyl rubber and the JV will be amongst the world's top five manufacturers of butyl rubber.
RIL and Sibur signed a technology licence agreement facilitating use of Sibur's proprietary butyl rubber production technology at the new facility. The licensing package includes development of a basic engineering package (BEP) and full-time provision of highly-experienced technical personnel on both project and operational stages.
RIL will supply monomer and provide the JV with world-class infrastructure and utilities.