BPCL to invest Rs600 crore to expand retail network over 5 years
24 October 2007Mumbai: State-owned oil company Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) is planning to invest around Rs600 crore over the coming five year period to beef up its retail outlet network, according to company sources.
The company is looking at opening around 250 ghar outlets, with each having a dhaba, and will fall under the allied retail business division of the company. BPCL presently has around 16 ghar outlets, with each carrying out 40 per cent "fuel activities", and the remaining 60 per cent comprising "non-fuel" or shopping and entertainment related initiatives.
Located mainly on highways, these outlets have a substantial land requirement of around three to five acres, and are featuring as an important part of BPCL''s retail strategy along the highways.
better highway network, coupled with an increasing number of people travelling
by road has brought retail options along highways to the forefront. Amongst other
things, road travellers demand quality food, and hygiene, which is what BPCL is
planning to offer.