BSNL, DataMail team up to offer free e-mail ID in 8 Indian languages

22 Dec 2016


State-run telecom service provider Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) has teamed up with e-mail service provider DataMail to offer free e-mail address service in eight Indian languages for its broadband users.

BSNL broadband users will now be able to open an email account in DataMail service in their own language, which is a big push to the government's digital India dream.

BSNL broadband users will now be able to communicate in these eight India languages, which include, Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Telugu, Gujarati, Marathi, Urdu and Punjabi, using the new DataMail service.

''Providing the linguistic email address is one of its kind initiative in the world to achieve our Prime Ministers Vision of Digital India. It's now possible in every part of India to have an email address in their own language and communicate in preferred language'', said Anupam Shrivastav, managing director f BSNL.

''The linguistic email service offered by BSNL will have DataOne.Bharat domain and email address  in eight regional languages including Hindi, Gujarati, Urdu, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Bengali and Marathi. DataMail is free to be downloaded from any Android or iOS system through their respective play store'' N K Gupta, director CFA, BSNL, stated in a release.

The government had, a few months ago, launched .bharat domain in Indian languages to increase the reach of internet users by providing domain names in various regional languages so as to cover over 70 per cent of the country's population living in the rural and remote areas.

BSNL has the widest network in the rural and remote India especially in 2G and 3G data. Launching free linguistic e-mail address service for its millions of customers is another strong step on fulfilling the dream of digital India taken by state-owned BSNL.

''Our fully ''made in India'' software product enabling DataMail service is a revolution in the world as many countries are waiting to inject the linguistic email address to empower the non-English speakers of the world. We are happy to contribute to the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi's Digital India dream by partnering with BSNL, country's strongest network telecom company having rural and remote connect,'' Ajay Data, founder and CEO of Data XGen, said.

India has a total of about 350.48 million internet subscribers, which is just about 30 per cent of the country's population, which leaves about 70 per cent of population without access to the internet and most of these are in the rural areas, ass per Trai's telecom service performance report for April-June 2016,

Indian languages account for less than 0.1 per cent content on world wide web while over 89 per cent population in the country is non-English speaking and unable to read and communicate via email as the language used is English.

BSNL broadband users can connect to DataMail service by taking the following steps:

  • Download DataMail app, which is free on any Android or iOS system through their respective play store;
  • Sselect the language in which they want his/her email address;.
  • Insert the mobile number;
  • Select the checkbox 'I am a BSNL broadband Customer'
  • Insert BSNL broadband number with STD code;
  • You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number;
  • Type the desired e-mail address in the language needed; and
  • Start using and share with your friends!

DataMail is the world's first email service supporting internationalised email supporting email IDs in eight languages.

Business History Videos

History of hovercraft Part 3...

Today I shall talk a bit more about the military plans for ...

By Kiron Kasbekar | Presenter: Kiron Kasbekar

History of hovercraft Part 2...

In this episode of our history of hovercraft, we shall exam...

By Kiron Kasbekar | Presenter: Kiron Kasbekar

History of Hovercraft Part 1...

If you’ve been a James Bond movie fan, you may recall seein...

By Kiron Kasbekar | Presenter: Kiron Kasbekar

History of Trams in India | ...

The video I am presenting to you is based on a script writt...

By Aniket Gupta | Presenter: Sheetal Gaikwad

view more