Govt to launch private train service with Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express: report
09 July 2019
Indian Railways is expected to start its experiment with privately-run passenger trains with the Delhi-Lucknow luxury chair car Tejas Express, says a report in the Financial Express Online.
The plan is to transfer custody of the train first to Railways-owned Indian Railways Catering and Ticketing Corporation (IRCTC), which in turn will lease out on-board services of the train to private operators.
The move, which is part of the 100-day roadmap for Indian Railways’ drawn up by the railway ministry, is aimed at getting private sector to operate world-class passenger train services in India.
IRCTC will be offered two trains for operation on haulage concept, for providing onboard and ticketing services. IRCTC will pay annual lease charges to Indian Railway Finance Corporation for the train rakes. The on-board services would be handed over to private operators through an open bidding process.
Railways will identify the routes, within 500-kilometres distance, on the basis of low congestion and tourist spots they can connect. IRCTC is reported to have been asked to come up with a plan by 10 July.
Train number 12585 Lucknow Jn-New Delhi Tejas Express will depart from Lucknow Junction at 6:50 AM and reach New Delhi at 1:35 PM. On the return journey, Train number 12586 New Delhi-Lucknow Jn Tejas Express will leave New Delhi at 3:35 PM and arrive at Lucknow Junction at 10:05 PM. The train will run on all days of the week except Sunday and Thursday.
The Tejas Express will offer:
- Personalised LCD entertainment-cum-information screens;
- On-board WiFi;
- Comfortable seats, mobile charging points, personalised reading lights;
- Modular bio-toilets with sensor-based tap fittings;
- Orange and yellow colour-scheme seats;
- Windows with automatic venetian blinds;
- Attendant calling buttons;
- Anti-graffiti vinyl wrapping;
- Swanky mini-pantry;
- Fire and smoke detection and suppression system;
- LED lighting, CCTVs, dust sealed gangways; and
- Automatic interconnecting doors between the coaches and automatic entry exit doors.