After NY attack, Modi and Trump vow to fight terror together

news
02 November 2017

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump have resolved to continue fighting together the scourge of terrorism, the White House said on Wednesday after Modi offered his condolences to Trump in a phone call following the New York terror attack.

Trump spoke with Modi and accepted his condolences following Tuesday's terrorist attack in New York City that left eight people dead and about a dozen others injured, the White House said.

"Modi strongly condemned terrorism, and offered thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families," it said.

"The two leaders resolved that India and the United States will continue to fight together against the global scourge of terrorism."

Earlier in a Tweet on Wednesday, Modi had condemned the attack seen as the deadliest in New York since 9/11.

New York has been largely spared from terrorism since nearly 3,000 people were killed in the 9/11 attack.

The most recent violence from terrorism there came in September 2016, when a man set off shrapnel-packed explosives in the Chelsea neighbourhood of Manhattan. Nobody was killed, but 30 people were injured in the incident.

President Trump has now vowed to terminate the popular green card lottery after an ISIS-inspired Uzbek man, who entered the US under the programme, killed eight people in New York in the deadliest terror attack in the country since 9/11.

Trump said the attacker Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, who ploughed a pickup truck down a crowded bike path near the World Trade Centre killing eight people and injuring 11 others in an ISIS-inspired plot, was allowed to enter the US on a State Department programme known as the "Diversity Lottery Programme".

"I am starting the process of terminating the diversity lottery programme," Trump told reporters ahead of a cabinet meeting.

"Today we mourn the horrifying terrorist attack in New York City just blocks away from the sight of the world trade center. The man drove a truck into a pedestrian bike path and murdered eight people and injured very, very seriously at least 11 more," Trump said.

"All of America is praying and grieving for the families who lost their precious loved ones. Horrible Act. Our hearts break for them and we pledge to renew our resolve in their memory," he said.

Trump called the Uzbek immigrant who carried out the attack an "animal".

"My administration is coordinating closely between federal and local officials to investigate the attack and to further investigate this animal who did the attacking," he added.

"We also have to come up with punishment that's far quicker and far greater than the punishment these animals are getting right now.

"They'll go through court for years. At the end, who knows what happens. We need quick justice, and we need strong justice. Much quicker and much stronger than we have right now. Because what we have right now is a joke, and it's a laughing stock."

"I'm going to ask Congress to immediately initiate or get rid of this programme," he said.

"And we want to get rid of chain migration. This man who came in, or whatever you want to call him, brought in with him other people. And he was the point of contact, the primary point of contact, for and this is preliminary, for 23 people who came in or potentially came in with him. And that's not acceptable," Trump said referring to the attacker.

Trump also said that he would "certainly consider" sending the New York terror suspect to America's military detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

"Send him to Gitmo, I would certainly consider that," Trump told reporters





 search domain-b
  go