Stung by the success of Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC) on rival channel, Star TV, Zee TV is set to launch an array of brand new programs during prime time. Zee is also changing the timings of some of its existing programs, with a view to further improve TRP ratings and rake in more advertisement revenue.
Notable among the new programs will be a game show which will carry prize money of upto Rs 10 crore (compared to the Rs 1 crore maximum prize money given out by rival Star TV), to be aired from October. Zee is yet to decide on the timings of the game show, which could be aired either between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. or between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m.. Zee has also refused to disclose the name of the host of the show, though rumour mills have mentioned names that include Bollywood stars like Amir Khan, Madhuri Dixit or Shah Rukh Khan. According to the channel, the new game show is being developed in-house.
Justifying the reasons for introducing new programs and changing the timings of some of the existing ones, R K Singh, chief executive officer of Zee Network, said, "Zee TV has been known for offering its viewers quality programming which is fresh and innovative. This initiative is a continuation of our endeavour to provide clean, wholesome family entertainment. Given the obvious advantage of the network, Zee TV alone commands an audience share of 72 per cent which, coupled with other channels of the network goes upto 85 per cent. The perusal of a long term and well thought out strategy aiming at delivering audience loyalty through nurturing of TV properties has and will stand us in good stead."
Apart from continuing with the standard fare of showing good films and hosting musical shows, some of the new programs likely to go on air are:
- Sansaar – A mega soap opera, filmed across five continents and containing a story line that encompasses generations.
- Rangshala – To be aired once a month, this program is intended to showcase popular, as well as thought provoking, plays constituting a part of Indian Theatre.
- Jai Ganesh – A epic based on Lord Ganesh, the program is scheduled for telecast from October 1.
- Thief of Baghdad – A fantasy based on Arabian nights.
- Akash – A serial based on the story of an ideal middle class working couple, where lives are shattered when wife finds out a secret that her husband had been hiding from her.