Australian surfwear company Billabong receives $556-mn takeover bid

19 Dec 2012

1

Billabong International yesterday received a $556-million takeover bid from Paul Naude, head of the Struggling Australian surfwear company's flagship Americas division, after two private equity firms had earlier backed away from a deal.

A consortium led by Naude and New York-based private equity firm Sycamore Partners offered to pay A$1.10 per share, a 12-per cent premium to the stock's last trade before being placed in a trading halt on Monday.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch will be the lead debt financier to the consortium.

The offer price is also a 48-per cent premium to the day before Naude announced he was considering a management buyout.

In mid-November, Naude had informed the board of Billabong that he intends to stand temporarily aside from his post, while he tables a leveraged buyout of the company. (See: Billabong's US head plans takeover)

Shares of the Perth-based company plunged 11 per cent to A$0.87 as the company cut its earnings guidance by about 15 per cent.

Latest articles

The $250 billion pivot: how 2026 became the year AI paid the rent

The $250 billion pivot: how 2026 became the year AI paid the rent

Sweden fines SBB over accounting violations, raising scrutiny on property sector

Sweden fines SBB over accounting violations, raising scrutiny on property sector

Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva amid pressure concerns

Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva amid pressure concerns

India asks university to exit AI summit after robot’s origin questioned

India asks university to exit AI summit after robot’s origin questioned

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal