Amazon pulls hair dryer from site after it shoots fire at woman
03 February 2018
Online retail giant Amazon pulled a hair dryer from its website after a video uploaded on Facebook showed the dryer shooting out flames instead of hot air.
Erika Augthun Shoolbred's blow dryer turned into a blow torch, according to the video she uploaded to her Facebook page. The shocking videos are sure to scare people who use the hair dryers, according to commentators.
She wrote, ''Talk about a bad hair day! My new hair dryer (more like a hair fryer) from OraCorp on Amazon.com became a blow torch on its first use this morning. A small burn on my hand and an enormous smell to my master bath - the company has yet to respond to my complaint or video."
The hair dryer in question, OraCorp's Professional Grade Hair Dryer, which retails for $19.99 has been removed from the site, but according to Shoolbred, the company has not yet responded to her regarding the incident.
Amazon, however, ''credited my account and gave me the contact info for the company.''
She added that the faulty dryer was made in China and came in a box that said ''Paradise Twinklers'' - and on turning it off, it only became ''more torchy.''
''The on/off mechanism at this point did not work and only made the dryer act like a blowtorch,'' she said. ''I had to pull the plug from the wall to shut it off. Even unplugged it continued to flame so I submerged it in water.''
She was left with a small burn on her hand a bad smell in her bathroom.