Domestic business of scheduled Indian airlines up 14 per cent in May
15 June 2010
Scheduled airlines in the country carried 4.79 million domestic passengers in May 2010 against 4.19 million passengers carried in April 2010, a 14.31 per cent sequential rise.
Domestic airlines carried a total of 21.14 million passengers in January-May 2010 against 17.33 million passengers in the corresponding period of 2009, recording a growth of 21.95 per cent year-on-year, official data released today showed.
Of the total 4.79 million domestic passengers carried in May 2010, Jet Airways accounted for 8.69 lakh (or 18.2 per cent) passengers and its low-cost out fit Jet Lite for another 3.84 lakh (8.0 per cent). Together the two airlines carried 12.53 lakh (26.2 per cent) passengers.
Kingfisher flew around 10 lakh (20.9 per cent) passengers while state-rul Air India came a third with 8.47 lakh (17.7 per cent) passengers.
IndiGo Airlines accounted for 7.53 lakh (15.7 per cent) passengers and Spice Jet for another 6.32 lakh (13.2 per cent) while smaller airlines Go Air flew 2.81 lakh (5.9 per cent) passengers and Paramount 0.19 lakh (0.4 per cent) passengers.
IndiGo reported the highest seat factor of 92.3 per cent, followed by Spice Jet of 90.4 per cent, Paramount Airways 86.6 per cent, Go Air 86.0 per cent, JetLite 85.4 per cent, Kingfisher Airlines 83.2 per cent, Jet Airways 82.5 per cent and Air India (domestic) the lowest 77.8 per cent during the month.