India not caught on back foot by US tapering: Chidambaram

19 Dec 2013

1

Within hours of the US Federal Reserve announcing its tapering of financial stimuli, India's finance minister P Chidambaram today said India is better prepared to deal with the situation than it was six months back, and markets have already factored in the impact of the Federal Reserve' move to curtail purchase of securities by $10 billion.

"The government is of the view that the markets had already factored in the US Federal Reserve's decisions and therefore is not likely to be surprised by these moderate changes," he said in a statement.

The minister, who spoke to Reserve Bank of India governor Raghuram Rajan in the morning about the impact of US tapering, said, "We are better prepared than in May 2013 to deal with consequences, if any, of the US Federal Reserve's decisions.''

The Fed on Wednesday announced that it will continue to purchase securities, but at the rate of $75 billion every month as against the earlier level of $85 billion. The Indian finance ministry felt that this is a mild reduction and the Fed has not announced any sequential reduction (See: Fed to cut bond-buying by $10 bn from January, keep rate unchanged).

The ministry has also noted the part of US monetary authority' statement which said, "Federal Reserve will continue its purchases of Treasury and agency mortgage-backed securities and employ its policy tools as appropriate until the outlook for the labour market has improved substantially in a context of price stability."

The Bombay Stock Exchange Sensex plunged by about 190 points in early trade, while the rupee weakened to 62.44 to a dollar following the US Fed announcement.

Chidambaram noted that the US Federal Reserve will "continue its purchases of treasury and agency mortgaged-backed securities and employ its other policy tools as appropriate, until the outlook for the labour market has improved substantially in the context of price stability".

The Fed had first announced in May that it would taper bond purchases, sending markets the world over into a tizzy. However, later it postponed the decision.

Latest articles

The $250 billion pivot: how 2026 became the year AI paid the rent

The $250 billion pivot: how 2026 became the year AI paid the rent

Sweden fines SBB over accounting violations, raising scrutiny on property sector

Sweden fines SBB over accounting violations, raising scrutiny on property sector

Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva amid pressure concerns

Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva amid pressure concerns

India asks university to exit AI summit after robot’s origin questioned

India asks university to exit AI summit after robot’s origin questioned

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Redmond’s global reach: Microsoft on pace for $50 billion AI investment in the Global South

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal