Govt allows wheat consignment registered with customs before ban order

19 May 2022

1

Government on Tuesday announced some relaxation to the 13 May order issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), on restricting wheat exports. It has been decided that wherever wheat consignments have been handed over to customs for examination and have been registered into their systems on or prior to 13 May 2022, such consignments would be allowed to be exported.

The government also allowed a wheat consignment headed for Egypt, which was already being loaded at the Kandla port. This followed a request by the Egyptian government to permit the wheat cargo being loaded at the Kandla port. Mera International India Pvt Ltd, the company engaged for export of the wheat to Egypt, had also given a representation for completion of loading of 61,500 tonnes of wheat, of which 44,340 tonnes had already been loaded and only 17,160 tonnes were left to be loaded. The government decided to permit the full consignment of 61,500 tonnes and allowed it to sail from Kandla to Egypt.
Government of India had earlier restricted wheat exports to manage the overall food security situation in India and to support the needs of neighbouring and vulnerable countries that are adversely affected by the sudden changes in the global market for wheat and are unable to access adequate wheat supplies.
According to the order, this restriction would not apply in cases where prior commitments have been made by private trade through Letter of Credit as well as in situations where permission is granted by the Government of India to other countries to meet their food security needs and on the requests of their governments.
The order served three main purposes: ensure India’s food security and check inflation, it helps other countries facing food deficit, and it maintains India’s reliability as a supplier. The order also aimed to provide a clear direction to the wheat market to prevent hoarding of wheat supplies.

Latest articles

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Data centres explore funding uranium projects as AI power demand surges, says NexGen CEO

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Nvidia signs multiyear AI chip supply agreement with Meta amid sustained infrastructure demand

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

India’s Great Nicobar project clears key hurdle, positioning Bay of Bengal as strategic trade hub

India’s Great Nicobar project clears key hurdle, positioning Bay of Bengal as strategic trade hub

Wall Street and government leaders to headline Mar-a-Lago crypto forum

Wall Street and government leaders to headline Mar-a-Lago crypto forum

Global investors remain ‘uber-bullish’ but warn of corporate overspending

Global investors remain ‘uber-bullish’ but warn of corporate overspending

The analog antidote: perception, reality, and the "Windows crisis" narrative

The analog antidote: perception, reality, and the "Windows crisis" narrative