N Korea claims to have mini-hydrogen bombs

09 Mar 2016

1

North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un said today his country has miniaturised nuclear warheads to be mounted on ballistic missiles, and has ordered improvements in the power and precision of its arsenal, its state media reported on Wednesday.

Kim has called for his military to be prepared to mount pre-emptive attacks against the United States and South Korea and stand ready to use nuclear weapons, stepping up belligerent rhetoric after coming under new UN and bilateral sanctions.

US and South Korean troops began large-scale military drills this week, which the North calls "nuclear war moves" and threatened to respond with an all-out offensive.

Kim's comments today were his first direct mention of the claim, previously made repeatedly in state media, to have successfully miniaturised a nuclear warhead to be mounted on a ballistic missile, which is widely questioned.

"The nuclear warheads have been standardised to be fit for ballistic missiles by miniaturising them," KCNA quoted him as saying as he inspected the work of nuclear workers, adding "this can be called true nuclear deterrent."

"He stressed the importance of building ever more powerful, precision and miniaturised nuclear weapons and their delivery means," KCNA said.

Kim also inspected the nuclear warheads designed for thermo-nuclear reaction, KCNA said, referring to a hydrogen bomb that the country claimed to have tested in January.

North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear test on 6 January, claiming to have set off a miniaturised hydrogen bomb, which was disputed by many experts and the governments of South Korea and the United States. The blast detected from the test was simply too small to back up the claim, experts said at the time.

The UN Security Council imposed harsh new sanctions on the isolated state last week for the nuclear test. It launched a long-range rocket in February drawing international criticism and sanctions from its rival, South Korea.

On Tuesday South Korea announced further measures aimed at isolating the North by blacklisting individuals and entities that it said were linked to Pyongyang's weapons programme.

China also stepped up pressure on the North by barring one of the 31 ships on its transport ministry's blacklist.

But a UN panel set up to monitor sanctions under an earlier Security Council resolution adopted in 2009 said in a report released on Tuesday that it had "serious questions about the efficacy of the current United Nations sanctions regime".

 

Latest articles

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Spain approves $8 billion aid package for storm-hit regions as floods damage homes and crops

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

Warner Bros rejects revised Paramount bid, sets deadline for improved offer amid Netflix deal

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

EU opens probe into Shein over illegal products and app design

India’s Great Nicobar project clears key hurdle, positioning Bay of Bengal as strategic trade hub

India’s Great Nicobar project clears key hurdle, positioning Bay of Bengal as strategic trade hub

Wall Street and government leaders to headline Mar-a-Lago crypto forum

Wall Street and government leaders to headline Mar-a-Lago crypto forum

Global investors remain ‘uber-bullish’ but warn of corporate overspending

Global investors remain ‘uber-bullish’ but warn of corporate overspending

The analog antidote: perception, reality, and the "Windows crisis" narrative

The analog antidote: perception, reality, and the "Windows crisis" narrative

Adani Group outlines $100 billion plan for AI-ready data centre expansion

Adani Group outlines $100 billion plan for AI-ready data centre expansion

Boardroom battle: Starboard Value pushes for majority control of Tripadvisor

Boardroom battle: Starboard Value pushes for majority control of Tripadvisor