|
Orissa
government rejects Billiton's SEZ alumina project proposal
Mumbai: The Orissa government has rejected a proposal
by Australian mining giant BHP Billiton to set up a 3-million
tonne alumina refinery special economic zone (SEZ) in
Gopalpur with an investment of $3.3 billion (Rs14,000
crore).
The
government refused to accept the offer on the ground that
the project did not have any proposal for an aluminium
smelter.
The
state government, which is insisting on value addition
to at least 50 per cent of the alumina in the state as
part of its mineral policy, has asked the company to submit
a fresh proposal with facilities for production of aluminium.
BHP Billiton has sought bauxite mines with proven reserve
of 300 million tonne and 5500 acre in Gopalpur for the
project.
The company has proposed to establish only an alumina
refinery which does not ensure full value addition to
bauxite, said a senior official who attended the presentation
session. He said maximum value addition would ensure more
employment generation as well as extra revenue generation
for the state.
Back
to News Review index page
India's
sugar exports expected to double to 3 million tonnes in
2008
Mumbai: Indian exports of raw sugar is likely to more
than double to over 3 million tonnes in 2007-08 against
an estimated 1.5 million tones exported this year, Akhilesh
Prasad Singh, minister of state for agriculture, consumer
affairs and public distribution, told reporters at an
industry conference.
India's
exports of raw sugar so far in 2006-07 amounted to 1.1
million tonnes and were expected to reach 1.5 million
tonnes for the year to September 30. "I think it
will be much bigger (next year)," Singh said on the
sidelines of the World Beet and Cane Growers Conference,
adding that exports in 2007-08 could be 3 million tonnes
or more.
India's
sugar production in the year to September 30 would amount
to at least 27 million tonnes, and probably more, while
next year's production could be greater than 30 million
tonnes, Singh said. Official figures were for production
of 27 million tonnes this year but farmers' estimates
were for more than this, he said.
With
the annual consumption at 19-20 million tones, India was
headed for a surplus of 8-9 million tonnes this year,
Singh said. Singh acknowledged other sugar exporting countries
were not pleased about the extent of Indian exports, but
said there was no alternative given the surplus output.
He
also told the conference that India, which so far produced
only cane sugar, was experimenting with beet sugar. India
was also developing ethanol production from sugar, possibly
with some capacity to export, to take advantage of the
growth in demand for environmentally friendly biofuels.
Recently,
India sold 200,000 tonnes of raw sugar to Dubai while
traders said it could have another one million tonnes
to export. Singh's statement suggested sales have progressed
since the Dubai sale, despite comments last month from
the head of India's sugar export corporation ISEC that
India would not sell at present low prices of less than
10 US cents a pound.
Industry
sources have recently said India's production this year
had already passed 28 million tonnes. India , the world's
second-largest sugar producer after Brazil , churned out
19.3 million tonnes in the year to September 2006.
Sugar
prices are already under pressure and India 's entry could
badly affect the already low world prices. New York raw
sugar futures for October are trading around 9.5 US cents
a pound, having dived from 25-year peaks of over 19 US
cents in 2006.
Back
to News Review index page
Raja
advises BSNL to drop 3G stipulation; DoT questions Motorola's
disqualification
IT
and Communications Minister A Raja today said he has advised
state-run BSNL to drop the 3G component from its 45.5
million line GSM tender, citing the lack of a policy for
implementing third generation network.
If
BSNL were to take the minister's advice, the public sector
company may have to reconsider disqualification of US
equipment supplier Motorola and its Chinese partner ZTE
from the tender - a quarter of which was for rolling out
3G lines.
He,
however, said it was for BSNL's board to decide whether
or not to go with the suggestion.
Telecom
minister A Raja, who replaced Dayanidhi Maran, is said
to have written to BSNL seeking the reasons for Motorola's
disqualification. The US-based telecom equipment firm
had also challenged its disqualification in the Delhi
High Court, which it later withdrew.
The
department of telecom is also believed to have questioned
BSNL's decision to disqualify US telecom company Motorola
from participating in the financial bid.
Sources
said some of the private players in the telecom equipment
industry including MNCs were in touch with the BSNL employees
unions to ensure that orders were placed with the two
successful bidders. BSNL employees union had given a call
for a strike on 11 July to implement the tender, which
has now been withdrawn.
Back
to News Review index page
|