|
Dow
Jones, News Corp seen reaching editorial agreement Dow Jones and
News Corp according to reports in the Wall Street Journal are seen to be
reaching an editorial-protections agreement that would clear the main hurdle to
a $5 billion merger between the two. The deal in principle would end the century-long
Bancroft family ownership of Dow Jones.
News
Corp and the Bancrofts have reportedly been discussing News Corp.'s $60-a-share
offer, over the past weekend. The main hurdle in the talks has been the Bancrofts'
pledge to protect Dow Jones and its flagship Journal from
editorial meddling by News Corp. and its owner, Rupert Murdoch. The
Journal said it was not known if the Bancrofts would support any compromise
in such a protections agreement. Proposals on how to handle editorial protections
have changed "significantly" since the Bancroft family handed over merger
negotiations to Dow Jones' board last week, the newspaper said. Dow
Jones also may look to squeeze out a final agreement at a higher price, the Journal
said. Back
to News Review index page Zoellick's
nomination under consideration Washington: The World Bank executive
board is considering the sole candidature for the bank's presidency, former US
diplomat and trade chief Robert Zoellick. If confirmed, Zoellick faces the
task of rebuilding trust in the development lender after a scandal at the top
exposed deep divisions. Zoellick,
53, a vice chairman at Wall Street investment bank Goldman Sachs, was interviewed
last week by the board. Paul
Wolfowitz is due to step down on Saturday as head of the World Bank after two
years in office. According to a report Monday in the Financial Times, Zoellick
was expected to take the helm of the 185-country development lender on Sunday.
The president
of the World Bank serves a renewable, five-year term. Under an unwritten agreement,
the United States chooses the head of the World Bank and European countries select
the leader of its sister institution, the International Monetary Fund. Back
to News Review index page Existing
homes sales reach four-year low in US Sales of existing homes in
the United States fell by 0.3 percent in May to 5.99 million units from 6.01 million
in the month of April. The May figure was the lowest level in 4 years and was
10.3 percent lower than 6. 68 million units in May 2006 a report by the National
Association of Realtors (MRC) said on Monday. Total
housing inventory rose 5.0 percent at the end of May to 4. 43 million existing
homes available for sale, which represents an 8.9-month supply at the current
sales rate, up from an 8.4-month supply in April. Single-family home sales slipped
0.8 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 5.20 million in May from an
upwardly revised 5.24 million in April, and are 10.8 percent lower than a 5. 83
million unit rate a year ago. The median existing single-family home price was
223,000 dollars in May, which is 2.4 percent lower than May 2006. The
National Association of Realtors is America's largest trade association, representing
more than 1.3 million members. Back
to News Review index page
|