22 Dec | 23 Dec | 24 Dec | 25 Dec | 26 Dec | 27 Dec | 28 Decnews

Basell Polyolefins plans to pick up 76 per cent in petrochem division

Mumbai: National Organic Chemicals Ltd.(Nocil), a Arvind Mafatlal group company has announced that Basell Polyolefins – which was formed after the merger of Shell group company Montell and BASF – will pick up 76 per cent in the company by demerging the petrochemical division from itself.

As per the original agreement, Montell was supposed to pick up 49 per cent in the demerged entity. According to Mr.V.R.Gupte, Nocil's executive director (finance) the company has received environmental clearance for the modernisation of the project.

The board of Nocil has approved a restructuring scheme where by the company would be split into three. All assets and liabilities of the petrochemical and polymer divisions of the company would be demerged to form Nocil petrochemicals. Likewise, rubber chemicals would be demerged to form a new entity. Nocil's facilities located in Thane, has a capacity to manufacture 60,000 tonnes of polypropylene.
Back to News Review index page 

Ilyushin to tap Indian aircraft market
New Delhi: Ilyushin, the Russian aerospace company is planning to tap the large Indian market for civilian aircraft, reckoned to be worth $20 billion in the next 15 years. The Russian company has recently reached an understanding with Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) for a $300-million project to develop medium-sized aircraft, hitherto mainly supplied by the US-based Boeing and the Europe-based Airbus

The Indo-Russian joint venture would involve investment from both sides, while Ilyushin would bring in the technology. The primary aim of the project is to build medium-sized civilian aircraft like the Ilyushin Il-214, which was a 100-seater. The project will also cover development of the cargo version of Il-214, which could be used by the defence forces also.

An agreement to this effect is likely to be signed just before the Bangalore air show, slated for February 2001.
Back to News Review index page 

Nirma lowers brand royalties to parent
Following a slowdown in growth of the FMCG market, Nirma, the publicly listed soaps and detergents major has decided not to raise royalty payments to its promoter company.
Nirma has entered into a fresh agreement with its unlisted promoter company - Nirma Chemical Works to pay one percent of its sales as royalty to the latter for using the brand names "Nirma" and "Nima."

As per the earlier agreement signed two years ago, the royalty percentage was to have gone up to two per cent of sales, with an increasing scale of as much as four per cent till March ‘04. But with the new agreement, the company will now continue to pay one per cent, as it has been paying for two years up to March ’00 at about Rs 15 crore, as against Rs 30 crore decided on earlier.

The lower royalty payment is expected to add directly to the bottom-line of the company, which has been facing pressure on account of rising interest and depreciation charges. At present, while the names are registered under Nirma Chemical Works, the products are manufactured by Nirma and marketed by 100 per cent subsidiary Nirma Consumer Care, the marketing arm of Nirma.
Back to News Review index page 

Hindustan Copper divestment set for June’01
New Delhi: Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL), the public sector undertaking will be privatised by June, 2001, as per time schedule finalised by the government. The time schedule also contemplated that the due diligence exercise by the potential bidders would commence by January 2001 and would be completed by the end of the month.

As per the divestment plan, the government will hive off two of the units of HCL in the first phase. This includes the Khetri and Taloja plants of the company. The total value of the two units will be taken as HCL's 49 per cent contribution in the new company. The strategic partner, who will also retain control over the management of the new company, will infuse the remaining 51 per cent equity stake.

The government has mandated a consortium headed by the Industrial Development Bank of India and Sumitomo Bank to act as global advisors for the proposed disinvestment. Four companies, including domestic producers Birla Copper and Sterlite Industries, along with the Phelps Dodge-Metdist combine are understood to be in the race for becoming strategic partner in HCL.
Back to News Review index page 



 search domain-b
domain - B : Indian business : News Review : 28 Dec 2000 : companies