|
New
credit policy, same old wine in new bottle - however FIs can turn to banks and banks can
enter insurance
Mumbai: Come April end and it is time for the governor of the Reserve Bank of India
(RBI) to make the half yearly announcement called "credit policy" that will
affect the ways banks and corporates function. This year was no different than the
previous years.
Obviously, the RBI governor seems gung-ho about the
state of the economy. At least, on the surface: inflation is down, industrial production
is picking up, GDP growth is expected to be around 6.5-7 per cent, and he has made it very
clear that the central bank will do what it can to keep things this way.
However, there is an inherent fear that inflation rate has
begun to rise. The drought in Gujarat and Rajasthan and the state of the fiscal deficit is
still cause for concern. In keeping with these concerns, the new monetary and credit
policy for 00-01 continues to have the usual measures relaxing rules for markets,
tightening prudential norms further in line with global requirements and
laying down the roadmap for future reforms. With specific reference to prudential norms,
RBI is moving towards international benchmarks, in a serious attempt to make the Indian
banks more globally competitive. It is asking banks to consolidate their subsidiary
balance sheets with their own accounts.
Predictably, the foreign exchange market, the government
securities market and the money markets didnt react at all to the policy statements.
But remember one thing: liquidity taps will remain fully open for some more time.
Translation: easy money conditions will continue and interest rates signals are only
southwards.
But to his credit, his experiments with monetary policy
have paid off some dividends: despite easy liquidity during 99-00, inflation stayed
low and there was a distinct softening of interest rates. Even the monetised deficit
net RBI credit to the government showed a negative growth this year. But
despite this, the governor is not taking any chances and he has warned banks to maintain
continuous vigilance and caution on the inflation front. Banks and other financial
institutions should make adequate allowances for unforeseen contingencies in their
business plans, and take into account the implications of changes in the monetary and
external environment on their operations.
Freedom is the recurrent theme in the policy. Banks have
been allowed some flexibility in how they maintain their fortnightly cash balances with
the central bank in the form of CRR an elbow-room of around Rs 13,000 crore a day!
Theres more. Financial institutions have been freed from rate restrictions on term
deposits so far they had to kow-tow to SBI rates. Not any longer.
Jalan has introduced another major change in the financial
sector landscape. The RBI has agreed to allow financial institutions to turn into
commercial banks. Institutions have been demanding that they be allowed to turn into
banks. In short, they also need access to short term funds. They have now been allowed to
move into the space occupied exclusively by commercial banks, provided they conform to all
the relevant prudential norms.
In another path-breaking decision, strong banks have also
been allowed to hold majority control in insurance joint ventures. So far, banks
stakes in insurance JVs was restricted to only 50 per cent.
Back to News Review index page
Standard Chartered
leapfrogs into big league with Grindlays acquisition
Mumbai / Melbourne : It has finally happened. After weeks of denying the move, the
Australia and New Zealand Banking Group said on Thursday it would sell its Grindlays unit
to Standard Chartered (Stanchart) for US$1.3 billion in cash, in an attempt to further cut
its exposure to emerging markets. In addition to the cash payment, Stanchart will also pay
the ANZ group US$ 500 m as dividends on retained earnings at Grindlays' operations in
South Asia and Middle East. It is said that the Indian operations of the ANZ Banking Group
have alone been valued at A$900m.
With this transaction, the ANZ group will still get a
net profit of A$400m, even if it had to pay out more than A$460m in possible claims in a
dispute between Grindlays and National Housing Bank in India.
Despite the big price it has had to pay, Standard
Chartered believes that the acquisition would be earnings positive after amortisation of
goodwill in the first full fiscal after the deal. Stanchart expects annual cost savings of
US$110m after three years.
This acquisition will ensure that Stanchart in India will
catapult to the number one position among foreign banks in the country, leaving its
closest competitor, Citibank, at a distant second. Apart from giving Stanchart a huge
network of 39 branches spread across 15 cities in India, the acquisition will also bring
it a retail customer base of 700,000 and a corporate customer base of 900. This will only
add to the 19 branches that Stanchart has and the retail customer base of 650,000.
In India, however, the takeover of ANZ Grindlays Bank does
not make Stanchart liable for the Rs 1,500-crore securities related scam case ANZ is
fighting with the National Housing Bank. The case is pending in the Supreme Court of India
and is expected to come up for hearing in October this year.
The acquisition is likely to see some amount of
rationalisation of the branch network and other operations of the two banks in India.
Back to News Review index page
New policy to allow ICICI and
IDBI to transform to banks
Mumbai : Following the Reserve Bank of India's watershed announcement that development
financial institutions can convert themselves into banks, the two giants of the financial
sector ICICI and IDBI have decided to set the ball rolling to convert
themselves into banks.
ICICI, which has always wanted to become a bank, will
thrash out the route it wants to adopt to achieve this goal. On the other hand, IDBI will
be appointing a consultant to look into the modalities of how to go about the conversion.
A lot will, however, depend on the final guidelines of the central bank.
The options for ICICI are many. ICICI could merge ICICI
Bank into it post-conversion or ICICI could go for a reverse merger into ICICI Bank or
both entities could co-exist as banks. But whatever the route, it will fit into
ICICIs strategy to become a one-stop, one-click outfit.
While the strategies of these two institutions are likely to take some time to formulate,
ICICI already has a lead as it has been working towards the goal of universal banking for
some time now. ICICI sources said that conversion of ICICI into a bank fits perfectly into
its strategy of combining the retail and corporate functions of the group with its overall
e-commerce strategy. On the other hand, IDBI is getting its act together only now.
Whatever be the conversion strategy, both the giants know that conversion is not going to
be any easy task. There are huge regulatory issues involved in the form of what type of
prudential norms should be in place once the conversion takes place. For one, reserve
requirements is an issue. While banks have to maintain cash reserve ratio (CRR) and
special liquidity ratio (SLR) on liabilities, development financial institutions (DFIs) do
not.
Secondly, the priority sector would also need to be addressed. Banks have to lend 40 per
cent of their advances to this sector. A converted DFI could do that on an incremental
basis or its infrastructure lending could be treated as priority sector.
Back to News Review index page
Arthur Andersen report
states that infrastructure gap in telecom unbridged
New Delhi: According to a recent report by the accounting major, Arthur Andersen,
India's telecom sector is going through an identity crisis and needs to cover some ground
before it can move towards dynamic competition.
The crisis revolves around the fact that telecom-spend
in India is amongst the lowest worldwide. To illustrate: Indian telecom revenues are
one-tenth the revenues of AT&T, and revenues from telecom, as a percentage of GDP, are
just 1.2 per cent as compared with over 3 per cent in the developed world, the report
says. Coupled with this, investment in telecommunications is low with low penetration
levels and the government focus to increase infrastructure, hasnt helped. This is
definitely a gap that needs to be bridged, the report says.
The report also comments that the entry fee for the
existing cellular and basic service providers at $1.2bn till July 31, 1999 which
was the licence fee arrears which operators had to pay for a shift to revenue sharing
is probably amongst the highest licence fee pay-outs in the world. The report
suggests that the government should look at the licence fee only to recover only the
administrative costs involved in the issue and administration of a licence. This
suggestion is similar to that put forward by the TRAI recently.
The report recommends that in the Indian context of a
smaller market size ($5bn), lower purchasing power, vast geography and a skewed market,
competition should be introduced in a gradual manner if infrastructure development has to
take place.
The report also advises that the government should move
faster towards converting the department of telecom services into a corporate entity to
ensure a level playing field for the private operator to expand the market and build world
class infrastructure.
Back to News Review index page
Postal unions to go on
strike from May 2
New Delhi : Three organisations -- the Federation of National Postal Organisations
(FNPO), National Federation of Postal Employees (NFPO) and the Bharatiya Post Employees
Federation (BPEF) -- which together represent six lakh postal employees, have given notice
of an indefinite strike beginning May 2, if the government doesnt agree to their
demands.
Telecom minister Ramvilas Paswan held talks with representatives of the unions and has
promised to get back to them on April 30 before 5.00 p.m. While he is personally
sympathetic to their demands, the minister said financial implications would have to be
considered by the finance ministry.
The three unions had gone on a strike from July 9 to 16, 1998. The strike, which was
effective and paralysing, was withdrawn on the assurance of the then telecom minister,
Sushma Swaraj. Swaraj had informed the strikers and the Parliament that the postal
employees would get much more than what theyd asked for because theyd trusted
the governments word.
However, the unions claim that the major demands on which they went on strike then, had
not been conceded.
The union government says that if it gives into the demands of the postal employees, other
unions will also raise the same demands. Staff are preparing for the strike which can be
called off only on April 30 when the telecom minister meets them.
Back to News Review index page
|