SAS to stop using Dash 8 Q400 after accidents
29 October 2007Scandinavian airline SAS has said on Sunday 28 October that it will stop using its Borbardier Dash 8 Q400 aircraft after a series of crash landings. The latest was on Saturday in Copenhagen. The decision to discontinue use of the planes came at the end a weekend board meeting. However, SAS will continue to use its 17 Dash 8 Q100 and 10 Q300 planes.
The decision came as Scandinavian aviation authorities on Saturday issued a new flight ban on all SAS Q400 turboprops. A representative said the airline had canceled 52 flights on Sunday and another 13 on Monday.
The airline, which has 27 of the planes, had only recently resumed flights of it Q400 turboprops. The fleet had been grounded following two crash landings in September, in Lithuania and in Denmark. No one was seriously injured in any of the three crash landings, which all involved problems with landing gear.
SAS has said it will seek compensation of about 500 million Swedish crowns ($78.06 million) from Bombardier. Bombardier said it was cooperating fully with SAS and the investigating aviation authorities and had sent a product safety and technical team to the Copenhagen site.
In a statement on Sunday, Bombardier said it was disappointed with the SAS decision to permanently ground its Q400s, especially because Saturday''s incident was still under investigation by Danish authorities.