At least 20 CRPF personnel killed in terrorist attack in J&K's Pulwama

At least 20 CRPF personnel were killed and several others were injured in probably the biggest terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir since the Uri Army camp strike of 18 September 2016, when terrorists belonging to Jaish-e-Mohammed targeted a CRPF convoy of 70 vehicles moving from Jammu to Srinagar with more than 2,500 personnel.

Terrorists rammed their vehicle into the CRPF convoy in Pulwama district's Awantipora town in the evening when the convoy was moving from Jammu to Srinagar. 
The bus was blown up on Srinagar-Jammu highway in Awantipora area of the district, a police official said.
According to news agency ANI, two buses of the CRPF convoy were targeted. Gunshots were also heard after the attack.
Reports said around 25 others were also injured in the attack that took place on the Jammu-Srinagar highway in Awantipora's Goripora area of Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district.
As per details available, the terrorist identified as Adil Ahmad from Kakapora in Pulwama, rammed the explosive-laden vehicle into a CRPF bus, which was reduced to a mangled heap of iron. Earlier, it was reported that the terrorists had triggered a high-intensity IED blast and followed it up with firing.
According to police sources, the suicide attack took place at around 3.15 pm and took the security personnel completely by surprise. Ambulances and security reinforcements were rushed to the attack site even as the injured were moved to hospitals. Some 10 personnel were reported to be in critical condition.
Jaish-e-Mohammed has claimed responsibility for the attack, officials said, adding that the casualties are likely to go up. Police have identified the terrorist as Adil Ahmad from Kakapora in Pulwama. He joined the Jaish-Mohammed in 2018, they said.
"J&K Police has taken up the investigation. The injured shifted to hospital. Post-blast analysis being done at the spot," said Zulfiqar Hassan, IG CRPF (Operations).
There were 70 vehicles in the convoy and one of the vehicles came under attack. There were 2,500 personnel in the convoy.
CRPF director general RR Bhatnagar, said: "Senior officers are at the spot; investigation is underway. Injured are being taken care of. There were 2,500 personnel in the convoy."
Union home minister Rajnath Singh asked the CRPF DG to review the situation. He is also expected to visit the state on Friday.
The CRPF is looking into any possible security lapses in moving 2,500 CRPF personnel together, especially as the Jammu-Srinagar Highway had been shut the past two days due to bad weather.