Fourteen Indians were chosen by the World Economic Forum as the 'young global leaders' (YGL) 2009, which recognises and acknowledges between 200 and 300 outstanding young leaders from around the world for their professional accomplishments, commitment to society and potential to contribute to shaping the future of the world.
The honour, bestowed each year by the Forum, has nominated young global leaders from 71 countries, including business leaders, as well as leaders from government, academia, non-profit organisations, media and society.
The new class represents all regions: East Asia (54), Europe (58), the Middle East and North Africa (12), North America (45), South Asia (24), sub-Saharan Africa (20) and Latin America (17).
Drawn from a pool of almost 5,000 candidates, the young global leaders 2009 were chosen by a selection committee, chaired by Queen Rania Al Abdullah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, comprising 31 eminent international media leaders.
The young global leaders (YGL) 2009 reflects regional and stakeholder diversity.
They include Anies Baswedan, president, Paramadina University, Indonesia; Shireen Bhan, anchor, CNBC-India, India; Omar Ghobash, ambassador of the United Arab Emirates to the Russian Federation; Priya Haji, CEO and co-founder, World of Good, USA; Chad Hurley, co-founder and CEO, YouTube, US; Paula Santos, CEO and co-founder, Vesta Technologies, Brazil; Brent Stirton, photographer, South Africa; Stephan Wrage, CEO, SkySails GmbH & Co. KG, Germany among others.
The 2009 young global leaders will become part of the broader Forum of Young Global Leaders that currently comprises 480 outstanding individuals. The YGLs convene at biannual summits, as well as forum events and meetings throughout the year, and collaborate on initiatives to tackle some of the key challenges of our generation.
The 2009 young global leaders from India are:
1. Sachin Tendulkar: cricketer
2. Mahesh Bhupati: founder, Globosport
3. Navin Chaddha: managing director, Mayfield Fund
4. Pooja Jain: executive director, Luxor Writing Instruments Pvt. Ltd
5. Sminu Jindal: managing director, Jindal Saw Ltd
6. Siddhartha Lal: managing director and CEO, Eicher Motors
7. Monisha Shah: director, Emerging Markets BBC Worldwide
8. Ashok Vemuri: senior vice president, banking and capital markets, Infosys Technologies Ltd
9. Amit Wanchoo: managing director, Eaton Laboratories
10. Reuben Abraham: director, Base of Pyramid Learning Lab, India School of Business
11. Boria Majumdar: author and lecturer
12. Shereen Bhan: anchor, CNBC India
13. Kanimozhi Karunanidhi: Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha
14. Malini Mehra: founder and CEO, Centre for Social Markets