Unveiling its strategy to help customers meet the challenges arising from Big Data, Oracle announced the availability of its Big Data Appliance in India. The company's Big Data approach is focused on engineered systems and aims at making big data initiatives practical for enterprises.
"Oracle is the first vendor to offer a complete and integrated solution to address the full spectrum of enterprise Big Data requirements," said Sundar Ram, vice president, technology sales consulting, Asia Pacific, Oracle Corp. "Oracle's Big Data strategy is centered on the idea that customers can evolve their current enterprise data architecture to incorporate Big Data and deliver business value, leveraging the proven reliability, flexibility and performance of their Oracle systems."
According to a leading industry analyst firm, in a span of 11 years from 2009 to 2020, the ''Digital Universe'' size would expand 44 fold, which would be a 41 per cent increase in capacity every year. Additionally, only 5 per cent of the data being created is structured and the remaining 95 per cent is of a semi-structured nature.
However, the problem is not the creation of the data, but how organisations could locate the relevant information to carry out a deeper and more sophisticated analysis of the data and use it in real time.
To make the most of big data, organisations are now looking at evolving their IT infrastructures to handle the rapid rate of delivery of massive volumes of data, with varying data types, which could be integrated with an organisations' other enterprise data to be analysed. In fact, according to the most recent annual survey on data warehousing by the Independent Oracle Users Group (IOUG), around 48 per cent of enterprises expected a significant or moderate increase in the unstructured data analysis over the next five years.
"Organisations across verticals are faced with the challenge of acquiring, organising and analysing this enormous amount of digital data to make better business decisions. There is a strong latent demand for Big Data and Analytics platforms in the market," said Sundar. "We believe, verticals like BFSI, Retail, Media, and government sectors will adopt Big Data immediately owing to the enormous data flow, while sectors such as healthcare and telecom are likely to be among the early adopters before most verticals adopt Big Data solutions."