Mahindra & Mahindra Limited (M&M) is the flagship company of the around US $ 2.5 billion Mahindra Group. Incorporated as Mahindra & Mohammed on 2 October 1945, it today employs 11,500 people. The company was renamed Mahindra & Mahindra Limited (M&M) in 1948. In 1949, M & M commenced jeep assembly and in 1953, Otis Elevator Co. (India) was established. M & M shares were listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange in 1956. The machine tools division was started two years later. Manufacture of light commercial vehicles commenced in 1965. In 1983, the company became a market leader among Indian tractor manufacturers. Mahindra USA Inc. was formed in 1994 for the distribution of tractors in the USA. In 2003, M&M s tractor division won the coveted Deming Application Prize 2003, making it the only tractor manufacturing company in the world to secure this prize. A year later, M&M became the first Indian company to achieve sales of one million tractors. In 2005, M&M and Renault entered into a JV to manufacture the mid-sized sedan, Logan, in India.
- General-purpose utility vehicles
- Agricultural tractors
- Implements used in conjunction with tractors
- Industrial engines
- Light commercial vehicles (LCVs)
- Information Technology
- Trade and finance related services
- Infrastructure development.
In 1954, M&M entered into a technical and financial collaboration with Willys Overland Corporation. In 1979, the company received a license from Automobiles Peugeot, France for the manufacture of XDP 4.90 diesel engines. M&M started manufacturing 4 speed transmissions under a license from KIA.
In addition, M&M has inked joint ventures with many global giants:
- 1956: Dr. Beck & Co., with Dr. Beck & Co. ,Germany.
- 1960: Mahindra Sintered Products Ltd. (MSP), with the GKN Group, UK.
- 1962: Mahindra Ugine Steel Company (MUSCO), with Ugine Kuhlmann, France.
- 1963: International Tractor Co. of India (ITCI), with International Harvester Co., USA.
- 1965: Vickers Sperry of India Ltd., with Sperry Rand Corporation, USA.
- 1986: Mahindra British Telecom (MBT), with British Telecommunications plc (BT), UK.
- 1993: Mahindra Acres Consulting Engineers Ltd. (MACE), with Acres International, Canada.
- 1996: Mahindra Ford India Ltd. (MFIL), with Ford, Motor Co. USA to manufacture passenger cars.
- Commander, Armada, Scorpio and Bolero GLX, all utility vehicles.
- Bijlee, a battery-operated, three-wheeler environmental-friendly vehicle.
- Mahindra Arjun 605 DI, a 60 HP tractor.
- Mahindra World Tractor, a 75 HP tractor in the overseas market.
M&M has six state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities spread totally over 500,000 square metres at Jaipur, Rudrapur (Uttar Pradesh), Nagpur, Mumbai, Igatpuri (Maharashtra), Satpur (Nashik) and Zaheerabad (Andhra Pradesh). The company has 49 sales offices that are supported by a network of over 780 dealers across the country.